Create Custom Fields
Every service industry is different, and each company has its own way of doing things. Custom fields provide you the ability to track your own custom data and the information that is important to you. Select the settings button above the Quick Search in the upper right corner of the FieldAware page. Then the CUSTOM FIELDS subtab.
Unlimited custom fields are available to include in the following areas:
- Customer Location
- Customer Contact
The custom fields you create will display only in the area selected such as Invoice or Job/Quote. All custom fields will display on the new entry page, but only the custom fields with information or a selection will display on the area’s record or be sent to the mobile device.
Custom fields, with the exception of date or time custom fields, are available for display on list view grids and are filterable on views.
Add custom fields using the CUSTOM FIELDS entry tab. This action requires ‘View Custom Fields’ in either ‘Role or User Roles & Rights’ security setting is enabled.
Tips and Techniques
Consider the following tips and techniques when you create custom fields.
- Review the fields available in each area’s entry page before creating new custom fields
- Date or time custom fields will not display on the grid in the list view for that selected area, nor will you be able to filter for the new custom field name.
- The custom field name will only display 25 characters on the mobile device. An ellipsis indicates additional characters remain.
- To record an additional phone number for a customer, select a text format; otherwise, your phone number will contain numerical commas.
- Phrase the custom field name for ease of use. For example, if you want to find out marketing impact on new customers you may want to phrase the custom field name as a question such as “How did you hear about us?”
- Format type is not an editable field once a custom field is created.
- The first item on dropdown will be the default so set the default to null by using N/A, --, Select, or others, as your first option.
- Dropdown select order cannot be changed once the custom field is created.
- Blank custom fields will not appear on the saved record
- Asset custom fields will not display on an invoice.
- Quick Search is available for Job/Quote Custom fields (details below)
- Item custom fields are created on the web and can be added to display on the mobile. Item custom fields selected to be added in the field are used for additional item information such as notes, size, manufacturer, or special instructions.